Monday 1 September 2008

DIGITAL ORTON ON ROSE

I didn't use the drooping rose pic as I didn't like it. This rose was also in the same garden and although heavy was upright. I guess it was simply newer. I used photoshop to give the orton effect and here is a link to my favourite web page which tells you how to do it
although all you really need is this:

Open your image (Image 1)
Duplicate the background layer (Right click on the background layer and choose duplicate) and name that layer Sharp
Create another duplicate of the background layer.
Change the Blending mode of the Sharp Copy to screen
With the Sharp Copy layer selected, right click and choose Merge Down (Image 2)
Right click on the Sharp layer, choose Duplicate and name this layer Out of Focus
On the Filter Menu, choose Blur - Gaussian Blur (Image 3)Depending on the resolution of the image you are using, the amount of blue needed will change. Use enough that the shapes are still visible, but detail is not. For this 6.1 Megapixel image, a value of 15.9 was sufficient.
Change the blending mode of the Out Of Focus layer to Multiply. (Image 4)
I guess your way is simpler Mary? Is there a filter within Picasa?

2 comments:

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

Goorgeoous, Kate, really pretty.. Ortoon is nice on roses, and this one came out great.

My way is simpler but of course you have more control in Photoshop.

In Picasa, you choose "soft focus" under effects and then there are sliders to choose how soft and how much should be soft focused. Once you have it well softened, save a copy, select it, and sandwich it with the earlier one by choosing collage, multiimage. It sounds complex but actually only takes a short time. I like doing it both ways, but Picasa seems faster and I had to dash off.

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

Orton, sorry.

With Picasa, you choose a center that stays focussed and it get progressively softer going out. I like that.