Monday 28 January 2008

WINTER MORN by KATE

SORRY TO BE A BORE WITH TREES IN WINTER - I guess this is one of my favourite things to photograph. This one does not look very good on BP. I am hoping it will be better on here. Same morning as the one below.

This is a view I used to see a lot when I went for walks from our old cottage in Layer Marney. I can now walk to the same place through woods, cross the road, through the other woods, past the fishing lakes, through a little copse and up the track. The girls used to ride up this track most nights to exercise the horses. We used to know the farmer and he didn't mind. In fact in the bottom picture you can actually see our old cottage just under the big branch to the right of the first tree.

















Used a new method in my Practical Photography for changing skies. Tis much the easiest way I have found so far. It was the same sky but as I had my tripod with me on this occasion I exposed one for the sky and the other for the foreground then put them together.




8 comments:

Katie J said...

Well it looks a wee bit better on here. Prolly should have reduced the size so you don't have to scroll.

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

WOW! Super. I LOVE the second one, it's great. It seems to look better smaller whereas the first one looks much better bigger where you can really enjoy the detail. The second one is very dramatic in the small version. I love it.

How do you combine the two?

Katie J said...

Thanks - have sent changing sky instructions separately.

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

I think this one could win a prize.

Katie J said...

I did post it on BP but wasn't happy with it. You could see a line where I had changed the sky. I had done it without re-reading the instructions. It actually had a ton of comments (and I hardly comment lately) so they were not tit for tat comments. Maybe I'll put the reworked one in which is the one on here.
BUT I think it is harder and harder to get editors pick, let alone finalist or winner on BP. I will try it at the next comp at CPS.

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

I just LOVE the light on that second one, so lovely. And the spacing of the post is sort of minimalist and nice.

I love your winter trees and am NOT bored with them and hope to see more.

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

That lower one would also make a FABULOUS smudge painting but it would take a LOT LOT LOT of time to do well.

Katie J said...

Thank you Mary. You have far more imagination than I have! I just can't see it as a smudge painting. Well, maybe one day, but I don't think I will get as hooked on it as you.